Friday 8 June 2012

The R word...

Revision.

Now the holidays are drawing to a close it's time to knuckle down and realise that something has to be done about the exam I have on Thursday. To be fair, I'm not one to sit back and forget about school until Sunday night at the end of half term, I'm more content with the 'little and often' approach when it comes to a massive brain-capacity-stretching subject such as physical geography. Now, however, I know it's time to knuckle down and make a mind map, and do some past papers. That brings me to the main element of today's post - how I revise... let's take this in chronological order.

Four weeks to exam:
It dawns on me that revision is needed. I may have been doing some light reviewing in the form of flicking through my book on the bus, mental tests whilst say... drying my hair, but now I start to sit down and start with the first topic. I'll write everything I need to know down and hope most of it sticks to my brain.

Another thing I do is CHECK THE SPEC (it even rhymes to help you remember). Although you're bound to be taught everything you need at school, but just in case you missed a lesson or are unclear, try finding the specification for your exam on the exam board website, or ask your teacher for a copy. That way you'll know that no question could possibly take you by suprise...

Three weeks:
I'll buy a revision guide. I TOTALLY recommend CGP. They are so tongue in cheek funny, it's hard to explain without reading one. The puns are so purposefully bad you feel like you have a comical revision buddy to help you all the way, something I find most entertaining up until the last few days before the exam...

(Remember to check if you have a specific guide needed for school, CGP is amazing but little use if the rest of your class is pouring, bored to death, over some other, not as funny, revision guide)

Two weeks:
Review what you've done so far, start a mind map, stick it on your wall, make flash cards... Whatever suits your style (you're bound to have done countless exercises at school on 'your personal learning style'. I, for one, am a visual learner with an interpersonal aptitude, so, in non-schooly English,  I like mind maps and learning with others :) )

Past papers!!! Find them online, or from your teacher. Actually, it may be an even better idea to start these earlier, but two weeks is the latest you should. This gives you time to check them with your teacher.

One week:
Mock. You'll probably already have had one at school but I always save one past paper and do it at home in timed conditions. If all goes well you'll know you're completely ready.

Now review your notes throughout the week leading up to the exam.

Good luck (and sorry about the boringness of this post, but revision is important!!)


0 comments:

Post a Comment